View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #116
drwowe
Enthusiast
drwowe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But that's generally not the case true, in a practical sense, with embedded systems, is it? Suppose you find a bug in the Linux kernel in, say, the Sony Reader (which does fully comply with the GPL). Can you re-flash the ROM even if you do fix the bug? Imagine the support nightmare that would result if everyone had their own "customised" version of the firmware!

That's why I'm asking if this has any practical implication rather than legal ones?
There's plenty of precedent for devices based on Linux and other GPL code where users DO create their own firmware. It is NOT a support nightmare. Lookup the WRT54G for a prominent example. Basically, companies have no requirement to "support" devices in unauthorized configurations, and users make modifications at their own risk. Yet, many thousands of users find the risk worth it.

I have been considering buying this device, I like the design and features, but I'm glad I found this thread. Now I will not even consider it until the GPL violation is fixed.

It amazes me that people who would scream bloody murder about people selling bootleg copies of CDs or ebooks are so willing to forgive device manufacturers for doing the exact same thing. Both cases are copyright infringement. The only difference is that most GPL copyright owners are not organized with armies of lawyers and lobbyists whereas media companies are.
drwowe is offline   Reply With Quote