View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
There's two separate issues here.

The first is whether the poll should be anonymous, but the vote totals still visible. So long as I've been here we haven't discussed this yet. I think pilotbob did it by mistake one month a few months ago (an anonymous poll) and I didn't care for it. As Tom says, I'm curious, so I like to know who voted for what. Not that it really matters one way or the other.

The second is the whether we should do a hidden poll where no one knows the vote totals until voting is over. As Jon says, this is not possible right now with the polls in this forum, though pilotbob did say he would bring up the possibility of adding hidden polls to mobileread's polling options with someone in charge months ago when this was last discussed, and he said it's not likely to happen anytime soon since whoever is in charge of that stuff is very busy. We discussed this subject in length then and the general consensus seemed to be that most would like to at least try a hidden poll with vote totals hidden, but that it's not possible right now with the software. The only option at this time would be us PMing Tom the votes and Tom manually counting them. Not terribly hard for us voters (though it might detract some from voting) but a lot more unnecessary work for Tom.

I wouldn't mind trying a hidden vote; I think it'd be fun to see what happens if a polling option were available. But the PMing method might lead to less people voting; even though PMing is easy, it requires slightly more effort than voting in a poll and some may not bother.

ETA - I was writing my post while pilotbob posted above me, so I mentioned some things that he also mentioned because I didn't realise he'd already posted similar thoughts.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote