@Radish.: Yeah, I'm referring to the 'Update Your Kindle' link when I say 'update process'.
So, let's try again, slowly, in order:
* Delete your linkss/screensavers directory.
* (Re)Install the screensavers hack (use the appropriate update_ss_*_install.bin file for your Kindle model).
* Restart ([Home] > [Menu] > Settings > [Menu] > Restart) your Kindle.
* Once the Kindle has finished rebooting, put it to sleep. You should see the custom placeholder screensaver.
* If you do see it, you can put your custom screensavers in the linkss/screensavers directory, and then Restart your Kindle to take that into account. If you still see the default screensavers, something went wrong with the install process, or you're using a KSO Kindle, in which case there's nothing I can do for you