View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #69
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So what? If you have page numbers can't you do the math? If you know you want to go to 50% of the book, and the font size you are at is 500 reader pages, then, lets see um, page 250 would be right. If your font size makes this same content 600 pages, then (give me time here), page 300 would be 50% in.
When you look at the number that's what you'll remember. So, when you remember something was at around 75% then you can find it, but if you remember it was at around page 500 then you also have to remember what page size you used at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What you CAN get from page numbers you can't get from percentage. I have the Sony and NEVER once have I looked at the page number where it said for example, Page 123 of 684 and said to myself... damn I wish I knew what percentage of the book that was. It is so INSANE to have these page numbers. However, many times I have thought, oh damn I really should get to bed... wait I'm at page 652 of 678... I'm gonna finish this sucker. But, if it said, 96% read I have no idea if that mean there are 3 pages left or 100.
Doesn't sony use some arbitrary, page-size independent "page size"? So how many of Sony's actual pages did that 678-652 translate to? Also, unless you just jumped to 96% then you surely have some idea whether you've read 72 pages or 2400 pages.

And c'mon, I never said to use only percentage. E.g., you could have the word count of the text shown either on demand or all the time in the corner or whatever. Then you'd know how big the text is, and since you're so good with math you'd easily figure out how much a certain percentage is (not that it's very hard, since it's 10-based).

And percentage isn't the only sane alternative. E.g. word count, which I just mentioned, is tons better than page counts since it's page-size independent, and thus not inconsistent on page-independent formats. Even character count would be saner than page count. (You'd probably want it expressed in kchars instead of chars, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Knowing that you have read 80% is raher useless if you do not know if the book is 30 paper pages or 1000 paper pages.
a) True, which is why percentage is not enough.
b) "paper page"? Are you kidding me? How much text is a paper page? An A2 filled with a gazillion letters in 6pt text? An A9 with one letter?

Last edited by msundman; 04-14-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: merged two replies into one