View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There's several things you can do:

1) Kind of let the imagery flow. Do you add descriptions of your characters? Don't go all crazy, but you have to think that someone is watching what's happening in your story, so you have to fill in enough description for them to be able to visualize what's going on.

I've read a few books where even as I finished the last page, I still didn't know what the main character looked like. Take "Touched By An Alien." It was only from looking at the cover that I knew the woman's hair was blond. Otherwise, just from the prose I would have had no idea about her.

2) You could type out your outline and the dialogue you're going to use, then fill in the detail around it. And always bear in mind that every story has a beginning, middle, and an end. Everything happens in a sequence: "A meets B and they get married" becomes "B moves to the city. A sees B and falls into desperate lust and has to do something to meet B. There's some kind of conflict that they solve, then they have their relationship and get married."

3) Also, you can write out chapter details. Break your story down into however many chapters you want, do a guesstimate of how many pages/words you want in each chapter, and list out all the things you want to have happen in each chapter.

Hope that helps a little.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote