View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #63
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
I think we should also consider the whole generational thing.
Well, I have a scientificly conducted experiment ranging over 38 years with 5 kids. All have at least college, a couple post-grad. All raised in the same environment consisting of Dad the Reader of Everything and Mom Who Reads But Not Like That Dad Guy. We also have The Constant Environment of Classical Music, With Some Jazz & Pop, and Books All Over the Place.*

Now, out of that, we got the following:

1st child: intellectually heavy duty reading, doesn't care a fig for music
2nd child: general reader, deep into classical, jazz & rock
3rd child: history reader, deep into classical, rock & jazz
4th child: light reader; burgeoning classical & opera buff, and Beatles.
5th child: I know, it's only rock & roll but I like it! Plus sports books & drums

Basically, I don't think there's any difference between the generations. It's more a matter of what you are exposed to, & what your likes are. I included the music because I think it's the same for both. If you are exposed to classical music, and your tastes run that way, you will stay with it. If you are exposed to reading, and your tastes run that way, you will stay with it.

*which leads me to wonder, how do you go about leaving ebooks just lying around for the kids to stumble over & read? How do you have an ebook library for the kids to explore, should they be so inclined?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote