Thread: Calibre
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I typically like to let Amazon keep my book purchases on their server by deleting them from my kindle, I am wondering what are the advantages to downloading the books to my PC and using Calibre to manage the library. I can understand that hen I do the job this way I have a lot more control over the organization of the library and i can organize it into a logical fashion. However I do not see the point in managing my library locally if Amazon is willing to host my library for me. Other than the reason I stated above why to you manage your library locally? Of course I come from an era where if you had a gigabyte of hard drive space you were ecstatic and windows probably took up 90% of that so I kept most of my data on floppy disks. These days with two terabyte drives costing under $100 its not necessary to hog drive space like I am used to but I still seem to be thinking by the old model.
Calibre has tonnes of functionality beyond providing a way to keep your books, and I find it invaluable. But for me the single most important value is that I control it. I have a full backup of all my Kindle books, including those I didn't buy from Amazon, and I can easily manage my collections, update metadata, remove DRM, etc.

If you ONLY buy books from Amazon, never remove DRM, never re-read books, and only have a few books on your current To Be Read list, then Calibre isn't necessary. But I'd still use it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote