View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi Yura,

Thanks for thinking along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri_b View Post
I also tryed to place a lot of files on SD card and index them ~3000 or more and:
1) Indexing takes a hours.
2) It takes a years to file viewer to read list of files from data base, to read pictures, to sort them in the way you ask.
I assume you have generate thumbnails enabled? Does it take much time everytime you start the DR or only when you added a lot of documents?
For the viewing part, the DR only has a limited amount of memory available, which is around 50MB (that is 0.05GB :-). In this memory information of all 'selected' documents is stored, including the thumbnails I am not sure if the large memory usage is the cause for the slowdown or the amount of calculation needed for the number of files?
Quote:
I end up with this solution:
1) If I use an SD cart with huge number of files I disable automatically generation of thumbnails and browse the files on SD-card and don't use /Books to see them all.
2) Otherwise I prefer to remove files I don't need from SD-card.
I think this is similar to the approach of Iņigo.
Quote:
I thought about enhancements of file viewer:
1) I would like to use sorting of all files, so we need all files in one big data-base.
The files are all in one big database (named global.db) the Books-view should show all documents on your SDcard. (But then, that view is unusable for you... :-( ) Or did you have something else in mind?
Quote:
2) A lot of time a file viewer spends on filling quick jump table (a alefbeit on right side of screen), We can add user option to disable this feature.
That could indeed be worth a try, to see how much time that saves.
Quote:
3) I'm sure that SQL data base works fast, the problem in file viewer. It can ask to data base return to him only data for current page, but one should redesign filling and jumping in jump table.
I did some experiments a while ago, see this thread message #16 and #18 for more information. Sorting seems to take most of the time.
Quote:
4) So redesign of file viewer (its integration with sql database) will speed up listing of files.
See previous point, most time is spend on sorting, which is also needed if you want to extract 20 files from 3000.
Quote:
5) Creating thumbnails for files: we can add another user command in file viewer: index curent directory.
This would then create temporally thumbnails? Storing them in global.db might be creating a too large file (after some time).
Quote:
Once more: Lite SQL data base can be huge and this will not degrade performance due to large size. Dividing databse to several will not save a disk space but handling with several dbase will be difficult and take more time.
Unfortunately UDS also writes in the global.db database, and for that program no source code is available. That would make it very difficult to split the data over several databases.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote