View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
How important is Android for Google?

And specifically, Android for tablets?

I am a little bit puzzled by certain shortcomings of Android. For example, the search engine of the Android market. It simply sucks. I type in dictionary to get an idea of what dictionaries are available and I get onscreen keyboards, word games, notepads... Among the first seven results, only one dictionary. I can't believe it! I mean, this is Google we are talking about. How come it hasn't even bothered to create a decent search engine for their own app store? It shouldn't so difficult for them. After all, they have certain experience in that field.

Have you seen the recent reviews for Google Earth? They are all abysmal. It seems that the app is simply broken. One of the best apps for Android, created by Google itself, and it's broken because, I guess, they couldn't care enough to test the update.

How come Google Docs still feels like a fascinating... experiment? After all these years in development, it should be the best office app for Android hands down. But it is not.

Maybe this is part of the problem: Google is used to releasing web services in beta, but I don't think that works for an OS, not when the user has to pay several hundred dollars to use it. And now they are releasing Chrome OS. A company that had no previous experience developing operating systems just a few years ago, now it's goint to develop and support two at the same time. O 2.5, because I am not sure that Android for phones and Android for tablets are exactly the same OS. At least it has significant differences, doesn't it?

My impression is that Google is not putting its whole weight behind Android. Instead of focusing on one thing until it works like it should, they are expanding in all kinds of directions. Hopefully I am wrong, but I have the impression that Google is biting more than it can chew. And, as an Android user, I am a little bit worried about the future of the platform.

What do you think?

Last edited by Andanzas; 06-20-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote