View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #77
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Too busy reading to notice

Only ride public transportation to the local (Seattle Sounders) soccer matches, and am reading from the moment we get on (about the only ones aboard) to the moment we get off (too crowded to see more than the peeps in front of us).

I've never really looked around to see what, or if, anyone else is using for reading. Judging from the raucous crowds at the games, I'd say most of the people at that time are soccer fans on the way to the tav to get oiled up, so wouldn't tend to carry anything that won't fit in the pocket.

While in D.C. (the OTHER Washington) a couple weeks ago, we made extensive use of the DC Metro subways, and it didn't seem to take long enuff between stops to bother getting any reading material out -- except maybe "short read" newspapers/magazines.

On the plane to and from between the two Washingons, I did notice a couple Kindles and several "glowy" devices of varying sizes within sight. But I tend to stay seated unless Mom Nature is insistent, so didn't really get a look at the whole plane. (Several people on one flight had to be told specifically to turn the devices off, so there were more than I could actually see).

I do agree that few people are voracious readers to begin with. It is probably those who would most likely tend recognize the value of a dedicated ereader's long-term battery life over the convenience of a "does-it-all,-but-requires-daily-charging" glowy device.

Can't say that when I was commuting daily pre-2000 that more than one or two people on the bus (besides me) were ever actually reading anything (book/magazine/newspaper), anyway. So, I don't think there is any way to judge from public use the popularity (or not) of any reading device.

I do, however, believe that the advent of the "does-it-all" glowy devices will severely limit the dedicated ereader market merely because most people aren't dedicated readers to begin with and don't see the point. My wife, for instance, is perfectly happy reading on her iPad. But she uses it constantly for everything except reading unless we are on vacation.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote