Audiobooks I've heard lately where the reader really nailed the book:
1. Tim Curry in A Series of Unfortunate Events
2. ??? in the unabridged Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo + sequels)
3. ??? in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies + Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
4. Suzanne McCormick in The Hunger Games trilogy
5. ??? in Meyer's "The Host"
Audiobooks I've heard lately where the speaker phoned it in:
1. ??? in The Forest of Hands and Teeth.
That last one was AWFUL. As you say, a bad narrator is a terrible experience.