View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #84
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
MP3 piracy and ebook piracy are not the same thing. You can buy a physical CD and have both the CD and MP3 available to you. Just because I never downloaded low quality MP3 files off of some file sharing site -- preferring to create higher quality MP3 copies from my own CDs -- doesn't mean I'd be less likely to do so with books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
If you wake up one morning and think, "By god, I want me some 'Emma' ebook reading," you go to Google, plug in "Emma Jane Austen ebook", download one of the many free (legal) versions, and go your merry way.
I must be one of the odd ones, because if I woke up one morning wanting a book, I'd go to the Sony Bookstore to look for it. I wouldn't google it. I don't know what I'm getting from some random site (at the very least I risk annoying pop-up ads) and I'll stick to sites that I know.

But I'm over 35, an elderly granny that doesn't know any better

I never got into file sharing -- I was just passing out of school when that was starting up -- so maybe that's why I'm not comfortable with downloading random content off of the internet. I don't search for it and I have to be beaten over the head before I remember it's an option. Even if I google the title of something, I only notice the links to sites I recognize and just assume the rest are scammers trying to lure me in so that they trick me into downloading some processor inhibiting virus.

Quote:
The Publishers Association recently revealed the number of physical books sold fell by 3 per cent last year, and although consumer e-book sales grew strongly revenues were just £16m, compared to £3.1bn in physical sales.
Have they considered that this is because bookstores are closing and books are getting harder to find? That the people that have stopped buying physical books have not switched to electronic and that they aren't getting *new* buyers to replace them? I know people that read the internet and discussion boards (like MR) on their phones and portable devices rather than reading books. That has nothing to do with piracy.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote