View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I did make some scribbles as I went, and your opening post says all feedback is welcome, so goes with some more:
I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It's always nice to have some feedback, it's even greater when I get a report of things that might be improved in the book!

Quote:
The "Back" link for notes points to the start of a paragraph. On long paragraphs this means you can jump back a page when you return from the note. Is it possible to have the "Back" link point to the footnote marker itself? I can see the id=".." in the opening <p ...> tag so I don't know if it's possible to do this.
That is, in principle intentional. I didn't want to have the backlinks point to the footnote marker, but rather to the word, sentence or passage the footnote refers to, so that one does not need to page back to get the context. But I was a bit lazy, and instead of looking for a good place to anchor each footnote, I decided to link them at the start of the paragraph instead. I'll consider changing this, though. Technically, there's nothing preventing the backlink to point anywhere. (Anyway, it's always better to use the "back" function of your reader, if it has one.)

Quote:
The footnote labels are a bit hard to hit on my PRS-350. It's impossible to use a finger and I need to pull the stylus out to hit the footnote marker. A larger marker would probably not look as good though...
Hmm... can't you activate the links without using the touchscreen? That's where keyboard/keypad navigation comes useful

Quote:
Is the formatting of the "In the name of King!" with the blank line either side just before the middle of chapter 5 deliberate? It doesn't seem to match the rest of the book.
Yes, it is (see here). Actually, it should be in smallcaps, but the Adobe engine (used by Sony among others) does not display smallcaps.

Quote:
In chapter 9 in the paragraph containing "They were dressed in striped hose ..." and a few of the paragraphs following there are quotes around non-spoken text. Are they meant to be there? I've still got the scribbles if you want a list of them.
The quote marks are there in all printed editions I can see. I guess those are quotes from somewhere else (real or fictional), although not explicitly stated.

Quote:
The headers for notes 13, 19, 20 and 22 where the header has a break has a text indent on the second line of the header so that the first line is centered nicely but the second line is offset to the right. The CSS doesn't seem to do this as far as I can tell.
That's a bug in Adobe again (see #3 here). I'll try to work around it as suggested in post #12.

Stay tuned, I'll probably upload a new version this weekend
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote