View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree with queentess, but even if the author is striving for realism, MY second-grader uses the correct grammar most of the time already, and I've heard more than one of his public-school classmates use correct grammar, too, so why feature the incorrect examples?
I understand if you are featuring non-standard language as significant point of character, a la Huck Finn, but why do it if your characters are 'every-kids' that the young reader is supposed to identify with?
Also, I want to make it clear that I'm just using this particular book as the example that got me to start this thread, I don't mean to single it out. For all I know, on the next page, the teacher corrects all the kid's grammar.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote