View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #24
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
a device, i would say, belongs to the set "clay tablet, scroll, codex, folio, book, magazine etc." with the most common generic word today being "book", whereas the content, regardless of the form it is presented in, is always text (well, or images / hieroglyphics / whathaveyou, but let's not complicate the matter further !).

so a device seems logically to be an electronic book (e-book), because it is the generic container, and the content (text) is an e-text because it is in an immaterial form, it is not printed / immutable.
Zelda,

From an etymological perspective you are correct since the word “book” has its roots in boards made of beechwood.

I however think that your conclusion is not the best.

An important difference between the paper book and the “e-reader devices”/”readpads” is that a paper book is never empty but always has content (if not a nodepad), and the content of a paper book can not be changed.

In addition to being a physical container for the abstract text a book, in its traditional meaning, is also is a psychological/logic container: a complete novel, a collection of short texts, a dictionary, a textbook etc. I you translate the “content“part of a paper book to “text” this nuance is missed.

I think that “book” as a psychological/logic container is more established and harder to substitute than “book” as a physical container. The word “text” will not do since it – imho – is too generic. The mobipocket store will sell electronic books not electronic texts.

I would therefore argue that “book” would be the content and not the device.

While it is difficult to come up with substitutes for the word “book” as a logic container it is easy to come up with suggestions for book as the physical container. In music we have mp3 “players”, so the word “reader” would not be far fetched. Alternatively brand names like Cybook or E-reader is possible candidates like the (initially Sony) walkman.

I am not native English so it is stupid of me to suggest, but in my ears “readpad” sounds ok.
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote