View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #22
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If I pay money for an ebook and it stops working, I have suffered a loss. If the Adobe DRM on the file is the reason it stops working, then Adobe has caused my loss. Very few ebook retailers will give a refund, and none will because of DRM problems. Why shouldn't I sue Adobe?

You say that Adobe has done nothing wrong. Given all the many ways that a PDF can stop working due to the DRM, I must disagree.

P.S. Please note that I said small claims court in my previous post. I want people to sue Adobe only for the money spent on the PDFs. I did not suggest suing for absurd amounts of money.
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem. There is a difference between having an ebook stop working and having one stop working the way you want it to. As I understand it, these books still work in the DE software. This is the way Adobe intended the product to work and, even if Adobe hid it in the "small print," it's the consumer's responsibility to look into what they're purchasing and the products they use. When I installed DE, it was pretty obvious. I had to consent to the installation and a bar popped up to show the installation progress. Maybe I'm just more observant than the average computer user, but I would have found the whole process a little hard to miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
My books work fine - I bought them long before Adobe Digital Editions was introduced and I had activated and transferred them to a new computer with no problem. But if you buy books and open them up in DE, then you will only be able to use them on the computer you opened the books on - and you will only be able to open them and read them in Adobe's extremely limited Digital Editions software. I have read many threads on Adobe's website from users who are very unhappy with DE because they are unable to transfer and open their books on new computers.
Can you purchase Adobe ebooks from sites like fictionwise.com and open them in Acrobat Reader? I would like it if I could do that. I thought Adobe made you download the ebooks through the DE software, which is what has kept me from buying certain ebooks.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote