View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #40
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
First, it would be great to have search refined a little. I searched for a title, but a very long list of books came up with some of the title words in the author field, etc. (since one of the words in the title I was searching for could possibly be a name). It would be useful to be able to search specifically by title or by author - don't know if that's possible. I found what I wanted by sorting the title field - that column sort function does make the current non-specific search much more workable.
Search returns what ever the store returns. Most stores don't allow boolean or refined searches.

Quote:
Second, the book I was looking for was in four of the stores. I clicked on three of them - B&N, Kobo, and ebooks - and got this error:

calibre, version 0.7.56
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'QNetworkAccessManager' object has no attribute 'sslErrors'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\search.py", line 175, in open_store
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\bn_plugin.py", line 46, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog.py", line 18, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog_ui.py ", line 32, in setupUi
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_control.py", line 43, in __init__
AttributeError: 'QNetworkAccessManager' object has no attribute 'sslErrors'
I will look into fixing this.

Quote:
The fourth store was Amazon. Clicking on this opened Amazon in my system's default browser, not the embedded browser. I looked in preferences, but I can't find the options for choosing default vs. embedded browser? EDIT: Wait, I see - it's in each store plugin's customization, and Amazon has no option for opening in the embedded browser. Okay, got it.
Due to issues with Amazon I am unable to use the embedded browser with them.

Quote:
If I purchase the book through the window/tab that opened in my system's default browser (Firefox on XP, as it happens), can you explain more precisely what will happen?
The same as if you had opened your browser and typed amazon.com then purchased the book. The only difference is the link though calibre includes the affiliate tag which gives us credit for the sale.

Quote:
Or what happens if I purchase through the embedded browser for that matter?
The only difference between buying (downloading) through the embedded browser is the embedded browser will detect ebook downloads and automatically add them to your library.

Quote:
When I click to DL, the book will go right into my calibre library without any need to save first and import, is that right, even if I do it through the default browser?
Only though the embedded browser. Using your default browser you will need to save first then import.

Quote:
And it will obey the usual import rules? Including regarding metadata (e.g., I don't generally DL any tags from any sources, and I'd like to keep it that way)?
It will obey the same import rules as if you clicked the add button on the toolbar. The only difference is the addition of user configurable tags being added. Even file type plugins that are installed will be run on them.

Quote:
What about with Amazon - I assume you have to select to DL to PC, rather than sending the file to one of your devices or to Kindle for PC?
That is correct. For amazon select download to PC and select the device you want associated with the file. In 99% of cases this would be your Kindle.

Stores like Amazon and B&N are nice in that you can login and redownload any book's you've already purchased. Since B&N works with the embedded browser you could open the store and use calibre to add the books directly into your calibre library. This would save you a step for getting your existing B&N books into calibre.

Quote:
I like to keep a backup copy of my original DL in a different directory. So I usually DL to that backup directory and then import to calibre. If I understand this correctly, I'd have to do a separate save-to-disk if I want that.
Currently that is what you would need to do.

Quote:
How about the possibility of building in the option for this for those who want it - specifying a backup directory with an automatic save-to-disk as part of the process, assuming there are others who might be interested?
Already coded because I had a feeling this would be requestd . The only thing that I need to do is add a preference option to allow you to specify a location or just have it ask each time for the location. I haven't decided what the best way to do this yet. I wanted to wait and see what else would be requested so I could determine what the best place would be.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote