View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
HarryT: I agree with you about people who are making money off of others effort. I personally think that it is a little bit weasely to just toss something off of gutenberg onto the Kindle service. There are already a dozen different versions of a lot of the classics there. I'm sure the first guy was doing everyone a favor, but all the copycats who aren't adding anything are getting on my nerves. What I've been considering is buying old magazines off of ebay and scanning and OCRing each edition, maybe even keep some of the illustrations. I see this as preserving history. Did you know that Cosmo used to be a literary magazine before it became the tacky mag that it is today?

I'd also like to make some public documents like the ones at Avalon Project more easily available to the public. That book that they cite as the source for the Confederate Constitution looks like it would be a treasure tomb. It's in the public domain and both volumes are available on Amazon for $60. I could start there. I'll definitely bring everything public domain here so you guys can imbibe, but I don't see the harm in making a few bucks by putting the stuff on some online stores as well. As VillageReader says, lots of people will pay for convenience, and they probably wouldn't know where to look otherwise.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote