View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #36
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
y'know, FWIW (and forgive me, I didn't read through every post in the thread) a lot of this is already happening: Not IPv6 mind. Consider that if you've got more than one computer in your house, you're already assigning an IP address to each, it just happens to be abstracted from the public blocks. IPv4 has several blocks that are reserved for various private network uses (the 192.168 block, and the 10 block for instance). Your house probably does it, your work almost certainly does it. Schools, libraries, coffee shops, etc. etc.

It'll be interesting to see how IPv6 plays out. It used to be that you could buy a static IP address from your ISP. These days I haven't seen any ISP that's selling static addresses to home users. When IP addresses are as common as sand on the beach, will the ISPs let up?

As for privacy issues, if you're on the internet your privacy is not very secure to begin with. Your ISP knows which IP you're using, where it's calling data from and a great deal more. Unless you're putting forth a dedicated effort to obscure what you do (TOR for instance) It's easy for a lot of people to know what you're doing (Facebook and Amazon know all kinds of things about you!)

The change over to IPv6 isn't an issue that'll affect this much.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote