View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
sebdea
sebdea began at the beginning.

Device: none
CSS style, TOC and other stuff

Hi,

I am new to this domain. I am usually designing and typsetting printed books. In the last few months I had quite enough projects that I cannot accomplish because the authors wanted printedversion and ebook also. So, I start looking around. I finally take a project in which I had to layout a book for print and also create an ePub and Kindle version. The book is only text. I start with an easy one.

So, before you through with rocks in me (because most of my questions are already discussed) I will describe the entire process I am doing and I will ask for your opinion.

First think first, the book is laid out in InDesign CS4. I created styles for characters, paragraphs (headers, footers, body, notes, chapters title, chapters number, contents etc.). All the images are inserted in the text, not linked nor just placed with Wrap around.

After the book was finished and printed, I export the book (Export for Digital Editions) as ePub. Once the process started, I start checking options in the new opened window as follows:

GENERAL:
Base for CSS Style: Defined Styles
Include Embeddable Fonts - checked

Copy images: optimized
Formatted: checked
Image conversion: GIF
Gif Options: Web
Interlace: checked

CONTENTS:
Format for ePub Content: XHTML
Table of Contents: Include InDesign TOC Entries:checked
TOC Styles: the TOC I've created myself, other than Default
Suppress Automatic Entries for Documents: unchecked

Well. The new ePub file I open it with Sigil v. 0.3.4. and I start working on the file. I saw that the CSS style is included already. The titles, text etc. looks fine, as in printed version. However, in some places I found that the text is mixed up (see attachment).

This would not be a problem, even I have no idea how to correct it. What really bothers me is how to generate the TOC, since the Sigil don't use the styles I've created in InDesign. The TOC file exist but no links available to the designated titles. As I read on the manual, the only way is to use the pre-defined style of Sigil (H1, H2 etc.). If so, why bothering to import with CSS styles?

So, I tried exporting, again, the document and choosing:

Base for CSS Styles: Local Formatting
Format for Epub Content: DTBook.

The rest of the options remained the same. I find that using this option, the new file is looking clear of formating. Everything is unformatted. In which case I might be using the Sigil styles.

Again, the problem is the Content that I've already have it in the file as text, but has no active links to the chapters. If I create the TOC using Sigil styles, this will not be part of the ebook as a distinctive page but as a menu on some devices.

Bottom line, how do I keep the styles I defined and yet have the CONTENT active, inside the ePub, as a page in ePub? Like as it is in a PDF file, where at the page X is the Content and when you click on a title is going to the designated page.

And, finally, how do I correct such text/style errors like the one in the attachment?

Kind regards,
Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test_text.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	746.9 KB
ID:	69214  
sebdea is offline   Reply With Quote