View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #58
SFReader
SFReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post
The Kindle's impact on Sony will all depend on how committed Sony is to this product line. This is basically a format war. Kindle books can't be loaded on a Sony reader, and vice versa (for now). So its like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. We've seen Sony go to great lengths to try and assure the success of Blu-Ray. If they go to the same lengths here, I think we'll see large increases in the availability of content. I hope so any way, since I JUST ordered my 505. I'd hate to see the Kindle wipe it out.
As of a few days ago (couple of weeks?) HD-DVD appears to be losing. However, Sony is well established in the video appliance market, and has a lot of experience (Betamax anyone?) in format wars. They DO know how to win.

Unfortunately, Amazon means books to many people, and they have hidden all ebook formats except Kindle, as far as I can tell. Before I bought my PRS, I remember noticing eBooks for sale on Amazon. When I saw the PRS (display was actually a PRS 500, didn't know I got the 2nd gen til I got home), the 'gadget' factor sucked me in... I assumed that the market was out there for ebooks.

Unfortunately, the Connect store is full of genre's I do not care much for, and even within the SF&F sections it does not have very good coverage. Orson Scott Card is missing, and not only is he an award winning SF author, his new book is part of a planned collection in multiple medias. Not available on Connect, or in eBook format of any sort, that I could find.
SFReader is offline   Reply With Quote