View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Ardjan
Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Another Oberon small journal conversion

Inspired by the many beautiful Oberon journal covers used on Sony e-readers I decided to try it myself. I chose the small journal instead of the PRS-600 cover since I didn't really like the straps used by the Oberon cover for the PRS-600. Furthermore, I didn't go for the Velcro solution that some others have used since I like the option of removing my reader from the cover.

In this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=105386&page=2 I got the idea of using the same system as the standard Sony cover used: Magnets to keep the cover shut and a spine to attach the reader to the cover. The spine build in that thread seemed solid enough, but looked a bit "industrial" for the Oberon cover. That's why I came up with the following idea:

Instead of screws I use rod magnets with a 3mm diameter to attach the cover to the reader. I have glued these magnets to a leather strap and a button that nicely matches the Oberon look. I attached these straps to the Oberon cover to secure the reader. This is the final result:

It is not 100% finished yet. I'm planning to put a piece of sheet metal between two sheets of felt in front of the screen to give some additional protection, and I might put some more sheet metal in the extra felt to the right of the reader to keep it closed better.
But still, so far I think I have a good looking cover that seems to hold the reader just fine. I have given it a shake test (above my bed) and the reader did not move, also in opened position the reader stays securely in its place.
Ardjan is offline   Reply With Quote