View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #63
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You're still missing my point... you can't/don't predict the way that life is going to go...
Oddly, that seems to be what you are doing, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
choose the renting/cloud option , get dealt a raw deal and you've got nothing because the actual digital material (whatever it is) doesn't belong to you... if it's on my computer/reader/DVD/Hard Disk then it's mine regardless of what may happen bar total disaster...

Renting/cloud, it's all the same, back in someone else's control whereas the whole point of modern computing came about as Personal Computing to remove the power from the high priests of the mainframe... now we're blithely handing it back...
I think we are talking past each other because you keep conflating "renting" and "cloud". The whole "you can't buy an ebook, only a license to access it in the cloud" I don't like either.

I'm talking about the OPTION to rent a book, advertised as a rental rather than under the pretense of actually obtaining the book permanently, and at a price significantly lower that buying price. Complementing the option of paying for a file to download and keep "forever", not replacing it.

Libraries didn't kill bookshops, video rental didn't kill video sales, so I really don't see why rental and buying would have be mutually exclusive.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote