View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
I'm in Australia. My wife recently returned from a trip to New York. She got me a Literati.

I'm experiencing a lot of the problems. For example, my PC running Windows 7 doesn't recognise the unit when connected to the USB port.

I bought a 4 gig SD card (HC type). I copied a number of PDFs to it. It took a few goes for the Literati to see them. When I tried to open one to read it the unit said that they were DRM'ed. They shouldn't be.

I converted some PDFs to EPUB using Calibre. I copied them to the SD card.

When I inserted it and turned the reader on, it scanned it for new media then locked up.

I tried this numerous times.

Calibre doesn't see it when the Literati is connected. So I can't add new books to it, convert any and send to device or to download newsfeeds to it.

It runs Ver 1.9 of the firmware/software. Wireless networking works fine. I can buy any book that's available to me. Unfortunately there are quite a few that are not due to the farcical copyright restrictions that book publisher impose on the reading world.

I have a Kindle DX. This Literati was supposed to be a replacement for it as the Kindle's too big and too heavy for reading, really, particularly in bed. So, I tried to transfer my Kindle library to the Literati. But because the Kindle doesn't use the EPUB format I have to convert the books, most of which are .azw files which are DRM'ed by Amazon.

So, in short I'm stuck with a PoS which I can't return, which has limited value because of region copyright restrictions and which I cannot connect to my computer.

I'll stick with the Kindle. It's registered as a US originated unit so I don't have any problems obtaining the books that I want to read. And it works flawlessly.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote