This plugin allows you to launch external applications for editing your books in Calibre.
Common uses are to allow editing a specific format of a book in an external editor (such as to edit an EPUB in Sigil), or to edit the cover of a book in an external graphics program to crop/resize it.
Main Features of v1.5.10:
- Launch external applications for a particular format or cover of the selected book.
- Easy to use configuration dialog accessed via right-click context menu or Preferences->Plugins
- A number of predefined default applications (per platform) for you to choose from, plus the ability to edit/add your own.
- Menu is fully customisable to change ordering, add submenus, keyboard shortcuts, images and command line arguments.
- Import and export capability for backup or sharing with other users.
- Help file web page available from the configuration dialog.
- Requires Calibre v0.8.18 or later.
- Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/restart Calibre/add to context menu as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
- Click on "Customize plugin" in the context menu to select the application(s) you want in your menu, alter paths etc as appropriate for your machine setup. This option is also available via the Preferences->Plugins dialog once you select it within the list.
- If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation. I have spent many hundreds of unpaid hours in their development and support so any encouragement for me to continue is appreciated!
Version 1.5.10 - 05 Nov 2016
Reworked logic for launching on Windows to mirror that of "Open with" built in to Calibre.
Fixes bug where images would not be visible in Sigil.
Version 1.5.9 - 22 Nov 2014
Fix keyboard shortcuts not working on calibre >= 2.10
Version 1.5.8 - 15 Apr 2013
Support for upcoming calibre 2.0
Version 1.5.7 - 15 Apr 2013
Add detached process flag for when launching on Windows.
Version 1.5.6 - 01 Dec 2012
When switching libraries, ensure keyboard shortcuts are reactivated
Prevent Open With being used in Device View or on Device View context menu
Version 1.5.5 - 01 Oct 2012
Put a special case in for loading Sigil, to workaround issues found with 0.5.9 release and conflicting C runtime paths
Version 1.5.4 - 14 Aug 2012
For Mac users support running shell scripts (contribution by Griker)
Version 1.5.3 - 20 Jul 2012
For Windows users use Win32 API rather than subprocess due to Python bug causing issues for users with non-ascii library paths
Version 1.5.2 - 28 Jan 2012
Support environment variables in paths to Unix applications
Add an Edit... right-click for the path to an application to allow manual editing of the path.
Version 1.5.1 - 17 Sep 2011
On Windows ensure the opened file is added to the MRU list, to support jump lists and recent documents
Version 1.5.0 - 11 Sep 2011
Fix bug in Import and Export menu items which were broken
Fix bug of double click on the application path should not be allowed when no menu name
Upgrade to support the centralised keyboard shortcut management in Calibre
Version 1.4.1 - 09 Apr 2011
Support skinning of icons by putting them in a plugin name subfolder of local resources/images
Version 1.4 - 03 Apr 2011
Rewritten for new plugin infrastructure in Calibre 0.7.53
Add Bliss application for Windows
Version 1.3 - 29 Jan 2011
Support for OSX (Windows/Linux already available)
Default applications list is now platform specific - don't display Windows applications to Linux/OSX users etc.
Added more applications for Windows - Adobe Digital Editions, EPUBReader (Firefox plugin)
Added default applications for OSX (Sigil, ADE, EPUBReader, Photoshop CS5, Pixelmator, Preview, Acrobat, Adobe Reader, Skim)
Added default applications for Linux (Sigil, EPUBReader, Gimp)
Bug fix for keyboard shortcuts not working if switch rows without reopening context menu
Version 1.2 - 25 Jan 2011
Rewrite with a configuration dialog to replace tweaks file
Include predefined application list
Version 1.1 - 28 Jan 2011
Renamed to 'Open with' plugin
Add support for opening covers
Version 1.0 - 05 Dec 2010
Initial release as 'Open EPUB in editor' and 'Open format externally' plugins