View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
spensar
spensar began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I've been using one since November when Dell Canada had them on for $100. Overall, it works well. Less formats supported than the Libre Pro which I also have. Occasional hiccup with PDF, especially a picture heavy one. No problem with Epub at all. I've used Calibre to convert everything I want for the Color Libre.

The backlighting is the big feature. Out of the box, the brightness is set at 70%, which is TORCH mode. I dialed it back to 10% and it is fine on my eyes. My wife has really taken to it, and it is essentially hers now! She also has the Libre Pro and where I still prefer the non-backlit page for everday reading she is equally satisfied.

The button layout is simple and intuitive, and most functions are accessed from pull-down menus. The menus change depending on what you are doing, but make sense. eg. If reading a book, the options are different than if in a directory.

I can get a couple of days use out of the battery, if just reading. I haven't done anything scientific like measure the hours of life etc. Just remember you are powering a 7" color and lighted screen. I plug it in at night, and it isn't an issue. If you don't charge it it just shuts down after a few minutes use, until you get it juiced up again.

One thing that catches you is that it will auto adjust to landscape and portrait mode, so when you first get it you wonder what the #$(!() is going on. I read in landscape and find it a handy feature.

I organize by books by author in folders. With the Libre, the folders are shown automatically. With the color Libre, it lists all the books, and to get a listing by folder you need to go to the menu and specify "file explorer". Not a big thing, just a little quirk.

I've watched one movie while commuting, and it worked well. Photo viewing is good to, and screen is a good quality for sharpness. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to flip from photo to photo and retain landscape mode, since that shows the photo at its largest.

For $100, a great value. Just be sure to check the formats supported as it isn't as wide as the Libre Pro.

For around the same price around here, you can also get a no name 7" color tablet computer that functions as an e-reader with software run on the tablet.

Unless you are a bit tech interested, from what I read it isn't that great as an e-reader as you are fiddling with software and don't have a dedicated page turning button. Still, an option to look at since these also have a basic wi-fi capability.
spensar is offline   Reply With Quote