View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Anyone in any country (they say they sold books to people to 130 countries over Xmas) can buy from Kobobooks.com. The important issue here is the WiFi connection, I believe. And the warranty.

I'm not careless with my money, and I am all over bargains, but for me, $20 would not be worth the potential aggravation.
I agree. My rule is I have to save $100 or more to buy any electronics in the US. And even then, I am always fretting having to ship something back or return it personally, that I am not sure it's worth the anxiety.

I bought a Dell Laptop at Best Buy in Oregon last summer for $400 (same one would've cost me about $600 ordering from Dell in Canada - including taxes). Everytime I have a little issue, I panic - because I know it would be a big hassle to have to get some warranty help. So far, so good (knocking on my wooden noggin).

I learned my lesson when I bought a 20" 'Norcent' LCD TV years ago (US Warranty only) - for the bargain price of $1000 (it was looooong ago!). It had a pixel problem and I had to ship it across the border down to CA to get fixed/replaced. I had a ton of paperwork to fill out (to bypass the brokerage fees) and had to pay for shipping (not cheap - and not easy considering most CAD couriers would not insure LCD/Plasmas in shipping). Then Norcent was supposed to pay for shipping/brokerage for the return ship, and they DIDN'T (more hassle!).

Unless you're happy with the small possibility of throwing something out that dies during the warranty period, you really should consider only buying in the US when you're saving a big chunk of money...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote