View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #7699
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
2 paperbacks by comedic fantasy author John Moore, whom I was surprised to find had written more books beyond the 1st I'd read. I thought for years he'd just left it at Slay and Rescue (incidentally the only one available in e-book), but no, he's written more so I went over to the local specialty SF/fantasy bookstore to see what they still had on shelf. Only 2 out of the other 4, alas.

A Fate Worse Than Dragons, in which a middle-class knight and a princess scheme to get him married to her under the fantasy trope rules of "Princess Can Marry Heroic Rescuer", while trying to keep her official fiancé from becoming said Rescuer.

Very funny, but the best part of this book was the way everyone kept acting like sliced bread was this horribly dangerous newfangled Frankenfood which had to be treated with caution and kept away from the kiddies.

The Unhandsome Prince, about a girl who kisses a frog who turns out to be a less-than-traditionally-gifted prince and thus ends up going to the city with him and the daughter of the sorceress who cursed him to find her a husband more to her liking, before the prince reverts back into a frog.

Not as funny, but I think I actually liked this one a bit better. Except for the sliced bread gag, because that was hilarious.

Both recommended if you like spoofy fantasy fairy tales which satirize the traditional tropes.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote