View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm not sure you can avoid the piracy discussion. Isn't the problem that you share the book with me in the bookclub and then I share it with 32,000 of my closest Facebook friends? What about if the particular book club group has 1500 members rather than 5 members? If I lend you or share with you my pbook copy, either I have to buy you a copy or give you my purchased copy. If I share with you my ebook, then I have stripped the DRM to make it shareable (assuming it is a DRMed book) and I am pirating it because I do not have to give up my copy or buy you a copy.

So how do you avoid the piracy question? Isn't it integral to the act under discussion?
I didn't want this to turn into another 30+ page discussion... that's what I was trying to avoid

I do think this is a different situation though. This isn't one person putting up a torrent and a multitude of people downloading it. Sharing books is a common practice among friends, and the whole point of book clubs is to share books you enjoy and generate discussion. Sharing pbooks is so common, that I think many people don't even realize that making a couple copies of ebooks to send to friends (or share with people who can't get the book in time for book discussion) is piracy. It's beyond knowingly pirating and into "common sense" practice, where the common person attempts to treat the "purchase" of an ebook the same way they treat the purchase of a pbook. How can the publishers even begin to combat something that is so ingrained in people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm not sure this is the same situation. I share ebooks with my son. I am allowed to have 12 devices associated with my account and publishers let me share among several devices. I am the account owner and my son accesses my account. He doesn't have a separate account. To the extent that publishers and ebooktailers permit multiple devices to be registered on a single account, I think they are knowingly permitting sharing among those devices. I think the view of publishers is that people will only share the accounts with a limited number of very close friends/family, which is how pbooks have traditionally been shared, and this is acceptable.
Yeah, no. I frequently shared pbooks with my brother and my dad, but there is absolutely no way I would share an Amazon account with them. It would screw up my recommendations, there's no way to turn off one-click buying, they would see ALL the books I buy, not just the ones I choose to share. Not to mention being able to see all my non-book purchases.