View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
allen.gotwald
Advocate
allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.allen.gotwald is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: SONY PRS-505 and Nook Color
Understandable

I bought the Sony. The restrictions on the Kindle appear to be far more draconian than any supposed Sony limitations or restrictions. It could be that Amazon considered people would be more enamoured by the internet access than to the availability of retail e-book distribution.

It would seem the industry should be able to place some restriction on the distribution to inhibit gross copy right violation. I don't believe the intent is to make you a slave to Amazon as much as it is to prevent you from mass distributing their retail products. It is probably a requirement placed on Amazon by the respective book publishers in exchange for their permission to sell e-book versions of their texts.

It appears that Amazon, like Napster, has to sell their wholesale soul a bit in order to provide you with a broad product selection. Personally, I don't have a problem with some of the restrictions since I don't intend to mass distribute retail e-texts across the internet. The alternative to these restrictions is to stay with paper. I still prefer my e-reader, restrictions and all.

In fact, I just finished reading Baldacci's "Camel Club" on my Sony e-reader which I bought for 1/2 the price of the paperback without leaving my house and without having to pay retail taxes. Works for me.
allen.gotwald is offline   Reply With Quote