Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #22
webfolk
Enthusiast
webfolk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Firstly, let me say I am definitely not vexed
I'm relieved ... and thanks for saying this right up front!

The following is utterly irrelevant:
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm struggling with my zero-knowledge of Macs and anything to do with Kompozer. ... Sadly, my understanding of encoding is also fairly sketchy.
because what you did was spot on!

I immediately expanded and tried to open the ZIP you attached in TextEdit and the same thing happened: images only, black background, no visible text. Playing with it in different ways went nowhere. I strongly feel this is a Mac problem and was about to call Apple when I was interrupted by some incoming phone calls. Later, after having let it go for awhile, the thought came to just go ahead and open the HTML in Kompozer and--voila!--it worked. The first thing I did in Kompozer was make a minor change, save the file, then open it in my browser and all the punctuation anomalies were gone. So I went on to make all the changes, import it into Calibre and convert it to an EPUB with all the settings you recommended. And it looks just fine.

The last thing is to implement step 3 of post 9

Quote:
... you would still need to manually tweak the EPUB's toc.ncx for the 5 'Part' entries, as detailed in post #9 step 3.
I found and opened the toc.ncx in TextEdit but I don't know how to do this:

Quote:
I rectified this by using Calibre's EPUB-tweak feature to manually edit the toc.ncx file in a text editor. Only 5 small changes required to correct the destination of each of the Level 1 items (or Parts in your terms) so it points to the first Chapter in the Part, i.e. the same piece of HTML as the next item down in the toc.ncx file.
because I don't understand the toc.ncx language well enough to know what's going on in there. What are the 5 changes?

The rest of your reply, about encoding, is a bit over my head at its present elevation and, quite frankly, I'm willing to put understanding on the back burner for a time, being a bit head-weary. That it works, however, is invigorating! What I do understand (after a quick Google) is "belts and braces." Never heard it before ... really like it!
webfolk is offline   Reply With Quote