View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
bogdaniosif
bogdaniosif began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 90x OR iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I would not hold my breath expecting any current-gen ARM-based device to deliver academic-grade PDF-handling any time soon when Adobe itself is only now attempting to deliver even part of the needed functionality.
As you can see in the short movie below, handling PDF annotations is well within the power of the Apple A4 implementation of the Cortex-A8 ARM architecture. The CPU power that could be available is not the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3g_wYr-vDI

However, you may have touched on an ugly problem bringing the performance of the 903 into question because looking through the tech specs here and here I can see that the iPad uses a newer generation of the ARM architecture and we can also assume that the optimizations done by Intrinsity would place the Apple A4 very well even amongst Cortex-A8 peers, let alone a generic implementation of the old ARM11 architecture found in the 903.

So I would say that it is reasonable to expect for an ereader to have a brand new, from scratch, implementation of a PDF editor capable just of annotation editing. Note that this would not require using any libraries from Adobe.

Last edited by bogdaniosif; 11-02-2010 at 01:57 PM.
bogdaniosif is offline   Reply With Quote