View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
In my (admittedly limited) experience with buying books from Baen and Fictionwise, their books in Mobi and especially PRC (in Baen's case) are very poorly formatted. ...
I've encountered the same thing. Usually when a book is billed as being for Mobipocket or Kindle and is a PRC the odds are greater that it is to some degree poorly formatted. Mobipocket .PRC files are less likely to contain complete well formatted meta data (title, author's name, cover image, ...) than those posted as .MOBI files.

I frequently download ePub files instead. Its not that the ePub versions are formatted any better. Its that I can fix things in Sigil, an ePub editor, that Calibre doesn't do on its own.

When it comes to what format to download for a Kindle, if the book has DRM then only download the Kindle specific .AZW format. You can also download .TPZ (Topaz) format, but they frequently display poorly. The Kindle can read AZW, MOBI, and Mobipocket PRC files if they don't have DRM. If a MOBI or PRC has DRM it won't display on a Kindle.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote