View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just been re-reading David Eddings' "Belgariad" series. An excellent fantasy series, but I just spotted this "howler" in book 4 of the series:

"The Mrin Codex was an ancient-looking scroll..."

Mr Eddings really should go and look up the word "Codex" in a dictionary and find out what it means .

Despite such errors, a series I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who enjoys "swords and sorcery" type fantasy novels.
He cannot look up "Codex" or any other word in a dictionary anymore. He passed away half year ago I think.

I was not impressed by Belgariad.
I found it way too simple, naive, very young adult type fantasy.
He is a great fantasy author for kids and teenagers to get them into fantasy (10-15 years old). However, if you read him for the first time when you are older, after you have read a lot of other fantasy works then it is meh...

If I am not mistaken, The Belgariad was rebranded kid's fiction. Which suits it quite well
astra is offline   Reply With Quote