View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free books (nook) - Barnes & Noble Classics Free Library - Final Week!

The final set of the annotated w/extras B&N Classics editions from their summer-long promo has begun to show up, a little early today, since the promo finally ends on the 14th instead of next Friday as usual.

Last week, B&N asked their customers to submit their suggestions for Classics which haven't yet appeared, and it looks like the popular vote goes to:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes volumes I & II
The Iliad & The Odyssey (yay!)
A Tale of Two Cities & Oliver Twist & A Christmas Carol and other tales
The Count of Monte Cristo & The Man in the Iron Mask (double yay!)
Crime and Punishment
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (triple yay!)
Aesop's Fables (whee!)

Hopefully a lot of people will be just as pleased as I am that some of their favourite selections made it to the final 12.

The official Build Your Free Library page will eventually list them all when last week's 12 eventually expire, but until then, you can pick the new ones up early via this "barnes noble classics 0.00" search link.

For those who missed them, last week's set of manly adventures on land and sea (Kipling, Haggard, Twain, etc.) can still be gotten for a limited time. Their system generally switches the old price back over around midnight PDT.

B&N's site is a little glitchy, so be sure to reload from each individual book page to make sure the price is listed at $0.00 before you click. Last week a couple of people on their customer forums got dinged when a promo listing still showed the expired deal.

Or just wait until after 10pm EDT when the new stuff will be practically guaranteed to be the correct price (what I'm going to do; I don't need to really download these right now).

Hopefully, B&N will be running similar Classics promos in the future. It costs them very little, comparatively speaking, but is a great draw for the Nook and helps build up goodwill. I'm certainly feeling much more kindly inclined about B&N than I did a couple of months ago.

And for the well-put-together editions that you get, the current $1.99 price is pretty good, although picking up the rest to go complete the 117 offered free thus far is going to cost rather more than it used to, as they've just added new digital editions, going from a grand total of 183 last week to 204 at current count.

Nice to see they're expanding the line, which certainly deserves it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote