Thread: Nook 2?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #46
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
What would you want in a new NOOK? Besides the Pearl film, which as far as I know isn't a design change.

I'm expecting a premium Pearl NOOK 3G to be added to the lineup sometime relatively soon. I don't expect Pearl on the NOOK Wi-Fi, because that model exists specifically to be more affordable. Unless B&N is able to obtain large quantities of Pearl film, which I think is unlikely for the next few months, I suspect that the standard Vizplex NOOK 3G will still be in the product lineup.

Anyway, it seems to me that the NOOK hardware is fine. There are lots of software changes we could use, but those don't call for "a new nook".
I would want three things hardware-wise:
  1. Integration of the much, much, MUCH faster Epson eInk controller. I didn't think I'd notice the difference when I moved from a Sony700 to the nook, but I do. Every day. The nook just feels sluggish by comparison -- especially when choosing one link out of many on a page (for example when there are many footnotes on one page).
  2. The new eInk Pearl really does seem to have better contrast and readability. Want!
  3. Better battery life. Vastly improved battery life! I want to be able to get 2 weeks standby time, or 24 reading hours out of a single charge. The battery life of my Sony saved me when my Pgh/Paris/Bangalore flight suddenly grew a 24-hour delay in Paris and I didn't have suitable plug-adaptors in my carry-on. (I had Indian adaptors, but...) If I'd been using my nook, I'd have been out of juice before getting on the plane for the second leg of the trip!

There're plenty of other things I want, but they fall in the "better software" realm. The three items above are the hardware issues.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote