View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Thanks, ATDrake, Wallcraft and ardeegee ... I now know I can get the tie choice at Baen ... but you've also under-scored my point: the Hugos -- outside of the Nebulas the most prestigious awards for sci-fi -- ought to be a huge driver of sales in e-books and p-books. But if leading e-book vendors don't have them ... what's the value in winning the award?
The majority of the market still buys the paper edition. Not having it available as an ebook is a nuisance for the author, not a disaster. This is likely to change, but at the moment, the folks it really bites are those who only want ebook editions.

The Hugos are a driver, though it's not clear they're a huge one, and along with the Nebulas are the only SF awards that have that sort of popular recognition and drive sales. There are a plethora of other SF/fantasy awards, but none I can think of actually boost sales of the books that get them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote