View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Nothing turns me off faster than trying to sound out something with too few vowels and too many apostrophes. It is very intrusive and I can never lose myself in the story.
Rule: Avoid using names and words that are so strange-looking and hard to pronounce by your audience that it throws them off the pace of the story. If there are things in your story that have such names, use nicknames, ie, call the "Quantum Entanglement and Time Diffraction/Distortion Relativity Positioning Field Generator," or "QETDDRPFG," as "Warp Drive" or "Chevron Drive" or "Ludacris" or something.

Feel free to acknowledge the full name in at least (and usually no more than) one place in the story.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote