View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dameuna View Post
I haven't yet received my V3 so I can't talk from direct experience. But --- the main reason I am buying the V3 is because it appears that millions of readily available books in many formats can be loaded onto the V3 without any file conversion at all. This is in big contrast to many of the other readers on the market, like the Sony, which require you to do file conversions for standard formats like PDF. For example, you can download any of the 17,000 free books from Project Gutenberg move them to the V3 and start reading. I believe the same is true of the 500,000 ebooks in PDF format from www.worldlibrary.net and many, many other sources of non-DRM books. I am not familiar with using books that require DRM, so I can't comment on this.
I hate to say this, but I will, the 500/505 does support PDF. But because of the 6" screen, you'll find Letter sized PDF do not always display well enough to easily read. The V3 will have the same problem due to it's 6" screen. But we do have pdflrf to help with the problem. That's the only reason you may need to do conversion on PDF. Not because it won't display. But because it may not display well enough. And the tools for the Sony Reader work very well and are not that hard to use to convert content. I'm not saying you should not purchase a V3, but before you do, you should do so knowing what's what.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote