View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
Thanks Kacir - I'm playing around with mobicreator right now. Hopefully it'll take my PDF and make something that will be suitable for your screen. Or do you have any other suggestions of tools that will take a PDF or Word file.
Do not use pdf as an input to any converting tools.
Use your word file, or better yet, open Windows Write program [that you can find in in Start Menu -> programs -> Accesories], and copy & paste text from MSWord to Write. Then save book from Write as an rtf file.
You can then publish the rtf file directly if you wish, or ask somebody here to help you convert it.
There is also:
- Calibre. Calibre is THE tool to use for converting between various formats. Just DO. NOT. USE. PDF. AS. SOURCE. FOR. CONVERSION. I suggest, use rtf file or anything but pdf.
- Atlantis word processor that can directly produce epub (commercial application, you can try it for 30 days).
- plugin for OpenOffice.org writer that can produce an e-pub
- bookdesigner program
- mobi pocket creator
- last but not least, there is Conversion Software section in our Wiki - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page
- I have seen a nice on-line convertor mentioned somewhere (Teleread?) but I can't find the link at the moment.

When you publish book as pdf, you throw away much of the formatting data. Search the forum for posts by Kacir, with pdf string, I will not repeat explanation over and over ...