View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you for these helpful responses.

Intrestingly enough, I'm not new to ebooks. I started reading them on my Palm Treo years ago. And my preferred format at that time was mobi. I thought mobi would be around forever and be the end all be all. I guess in a way that's not untrue. But I didn't realize those books would still work on Kindle (I didn't realize the standard mobi format would work in Kindle). So that's good to know.

I'm pretty familiar with removing DRM from ePubs and once upon a time I used to do it regularly with mobi as well. However I seem to recall that last I played with it for Mobi I had quite a bit of trouble (it wouldn't work). Not saying I can't refigure it out, but I do feel better with the thought that if I HAD to, I could convert my mobi format to ePub.

How is conversion back and forth? If an ePub is formatted nicely to begin with and DRM removed, then converted to mobi, does it still look good? Is the font changeable? I have calibre and do use it, but I don't begin to understand all the different settings that can be changed.

And how is mobi conversion to ePub?

I actually preordered the Kindle 3 as soon as I heard about it, knowing I could cancel it. And flat out "buyers remorse" didn't hit...but the logical stuff started coming to mind. The things posted here are good...good information, good thought provoking comments.

And I think I better pay attention to the stickies....
French is offline   Reply With Quote