View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Well - it's been a week now and the 'TheBook' is pretty good.

Battery life impresses me, as just a reader, with it's low illumination setting I got a full week out of it, almost double what the JB could do at it's best.

I've been trying to form an overall impression to sum it up and after a week of use here's what I've come up with: Clunky.
And I'll explain that too->
The bigger screen is nice, but holding this in the hand just ain't easy.

The buttons were no doubt placed by space aliens with 8 tentacles because there's no other rational explanation for their goofy placement.
The (useless) keyboard just makes it's size/weight bigger for no good reason at all.
The only way I've found that approaches in-the-hand comfort is in landscape mode with the KB at the right...and in the case so the tabs which hold it in are not in the way.

-IF- this thing somehow lost the KB and had buttons intelligently placed for one-handed use then it would be a very nice size and comfortable to use.

As it stands I am torn because the JBL is now down to 69.99 and Android tablets are looking better and better as each minute passes.

Good thing I have a good, long while before my return option runs out for this, it'll keep me covered while I work out possible warranty problems with the dead JB and keep watch for tablets with Android 2.1+ to become affordable.

Final word:
As of this exact minute in time, the Augen product is OK; not the greatest, but OK and when I compare it with the idea of a JBL for 69.99 I'd say the Augen is overpriced.
(But who knows what will show up next that puts both of these to shame somehow ?)

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote