View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #130
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Well, why assume that most pirates wouldn't have bought the software otherwise? There must have been a reason they wanted it in the first place... and through their actions, they might give it to someone who would've otherwise bought it legally..
I have seen this happen many times- people will certainly use a pirate copy of software, but will not buy package. They either do without, or use a lower cost or free alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Because M$ is what most businesses use, and if you want to work with many businesses, you have to use their SW, whether you like it or not. If you have a choice, then by all means, switch to Linux or something, and be free. I also regret that it can be very expensive to purchase the SW most businesses use (as a graphics/web designer, I cringe every time someone talks to me about the cost of Adobe software), but if it's a business need, you have to consider it a business expense, knuckle down, and pay it. Take a class to learn it. Find someone who has it, and practice on their computer. There are options, but stealing it should never be one of them.
Depends on what you do. The operating system, whether Linux or Windows or BSD, isn't the problem- it's the applications software and the file formats that they use. I have never had much problem exchanging any of the Office file formats, because other, non-MS software will write the same formats. I have worked with many different businesses over the years, and have also slowly been eliminating Windows from my home office environment. I still buy a premium MSDN, but hopefully one of these days I won't have to. And over the past 2 years, with some extracurricular consulting work I do, I have convinced several individuals to switch to the Mac, and they are very happy. And I have convinced a medium-sized business to say no to M$, and using Mac OS and BSD, and virtualization technology, it's not that hard to do. The biggest problem that I see is lack of knowledge on the part of IT staffs, and that can be remedied.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote