View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think the connection is this: if everyone could set their own price, it would not matter so much if Retailer Y had the 'favoured nation' deal because I, as Retailer X, could still compete in the marketplace by offering by making the book a loss leader and taking my own hit on it to draw in other business. But if the publisher fixes the price AND gives someone a favoured nation status, nobody else can compete in the marketplace, and that is a monopoly/price-fixing situation.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote