View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
neat POV's offered, thanks.

I agree the increased contrast has to be just wonderful, maybe even more so on a large format panel since the "white space" is more obvious even with the fonts and such scaled up I bet the "white" space areas just affect the over all look of a page. So that is nice, and it was one of the things I saw as nice about the DXG. And the black (I know it's more pencil lead grey than black but it's better than white for some of us) color was also a welcome change for me personally.

But my primary issue with the KDX was the buttons. I am have personal reasons why I have to have buttons on both sides so for me w/o them the device will never be one I buy because I want a large format device...and as I have mentioned elsewhere, maybe here or just thought I did...hehehe....but the whole accelerometer put the keyboard on top just never has worked for me...I dunno why I can't learn to be OK with the keyboard above the panel but on the 6" Kindles I have owned it just is something distracting plus the balance feels wrong, even if it's not I dunno but it feels top heavy to me...add to that the buttons are reversed it makes habits learned from using the K1/K2/K2i sort of out the window....lost operational consistency. Again probably not huge for a lot of folks but for me it is and this is not new with the DXG.

As for the key layout and navigation button/pad/joystick....time will tell once people begin using the K3. I have a question and that is, on the KDX/DXG is the joystick larger than on the K2/K2i? That's my issue with it because it is simply waaaay to small for my fingers to use easily, I have to take my focus off my work/reading in order to operate the joystick or lawd knows where I will end up in the book...hehehehe...but I still wonder why the new design was not ported to the DXG, it looks like it has to be easier to use. In fact it's not unlike the d-pad on the Pocketbook 360 which people really like it as a nav tool. I LIKE having a keyboard but would have liked to see a 2nd shift key because I could almost touch type even on the K2/K2i keyboard were there a 2nd shift key.

I would hope any software changes would trickle down, or up(?), to the DXG family since, well, it's just firmware BUT, Bezos references some sort of improvement in rendering on the K3 to improve fonts and other screen content. Not sure if that is linked to the driver card, the firmware alone or ??? I would sense the GDX is different hardware wise due to the pixel density alone, so this could be a case where they wanted to get the K3 done and right before shifting attention to the DX family. In fact I wonder of now Amazon is at a point where the development of the devices has branched into two product teams. Historically this does not seem to work as well as one might hope and usually due to teams making decisions which further remove the two products that should be the same for the most part but in reality they diverge. Of course in this case, maybe that makes sense since the target base for the DX family is likely not the same as the K3...but in my case I am in the one-device group and want that to be a large format device.

Still, nice to read there are rational reasons people are happy or not as happy with their new DXG as it's still a wonderful device, but like I mentioned it's release was a bit disappointing to me anyway as the layout had not improved from my POV...most important is the inability to use either hand to turn pages which is an ability I will have to insist on before I buy into the DX system...and no, disrupting my reading by turning the thing upside down just is not what I would expect for $400 nor does it work for me...OK soooo I am just being really stubborn on that teeny portion of it all...hehehehe

We'll see, maybe they are waiting on any major changes until the plastic substrate panels are out (why reinvent the wheel twice in a year, right?), hopefully, early next year and it will be at that time Amazon might release a refined large format device...not in a hurry personally and who knows one might not be around to need one next year so it won't matter...problem solved...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote