View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Harry's ambivalence to DRM has much to do with the fact that he owns two readers. One compatible with the Sony BBeB and the other compatible with protected Mobipocket books. His choices aren't limited like they are with those who only own one device.
No, it's not that at all. It's due to four reasons:

1. The overwhelming majority of the that books I read don't have DRM. My main reading interests are out-of-copyright classics, and SF/Fantasy. The first I get from PG, the latter from Baen, who don't use DRM.

2. The occasional "mainstream" book that I buy which does have DRM I very rarely have any urge to re-read.

3. The DRMed book I buy all use MobiPocket, who are the market leaders and have been around for many years. I have no reason to suppose that they won't be around for many years to come.

4. If I spend $10 on a book, I regard it as $10 of entertainment, not a "lifetime investment". If I did decide to re-read the book in 10 years time, and discovered that I could not longer read it, I'd spend another $10 for the pleasure of doing so. I throw away most of the paperbacks I buy (I don't have the storage space to keep them) so I'd do exactly the same with a paperback.

So, as you see, with these factors combined I really couldn't give two hoots about DRM one way or another. If a publisher decides that they really must use DRM in order to publish a book then I'd just happy to see it as an eBook. If they decide that they can publish it without DRM, that's even better. A DRMed eBook is better than no eBook at all, to my way of thinking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote