View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishSexy View Post
If only I could accrue interest on my giftcard
Yeah, if only.

If a business goes bankrupt, giftcards are treated as unsecured loans. So if they're loans, we oughta get interest, right? But instead, they hit us with "service charges" for not using the giftcard after some period of time (exactly what "service" is required by a giftcard sitting in a drawer while the issuing store gets the benefit of that unsecured loan, anyway?) until they evaporate to nothing.

Giftcards are a major racket. Not that I turn down the bookstore giftcards that my in-laws send me on my birthday, mind you (though I end up getting pbooks with them, for DRM reasons ... hmmm, I wonder if Smashwords could do something along those lines?) but they are, legally, a loan to the store, and one that if you wait long enough, the store never has to repay.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote