Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
WM 5.0 upgrade for Dell Axim X50 arrived

Over at Aximsite numerous people are reporting that their Windows Mobile 5.0 Upgrade CD from Dell began shipping yesterday. I guess you could call me old-fashioned, but Windows Mobile 2003SE is still sufficient for my needs and I'll stick to it until various apps important to me (such as OzVGA to switch to 640x480) are upgraded to work with WM 5.0.

In case you want to restore the ROM image from WM 5.0 back to WM 2003, you can download the appropriate tool free from Dell's Website:
Downgrade for X50v, Downgrade for X50
Old 10-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note, Nexus7
I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to WM5. The number of problems reported on Aximsite with software incompatibility, wireless synching and other hardware/driver issues leaves me cold. While I'd like the extra RAM and security from using BIS instead of RAM, it's just not enough to make me want to make the leap just yet (that and Dell Oz still want to charge me for the upgrade, even though I bought the X50v weeks before the announcement was made.

Enthusiast
Old 11-02-2005, 04:31 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Well I upgraded today and after playing with it for 30 minutes I decided for the rollback option to WM 2003SE using Dell's official tools for this. I found that the current 5.0 ROM is not worth the trouble; several programs seem to load a lot slower, and aside from the prettier GUI there is nothing else I could benefit from the upgrade right now.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That makes me feel vindicated in my decision not to upgrade. I'm too much of a "power user" I guess (in that I have a lot of different software installed, and a lot of that looks like it won't work with WM5).

WM2003SE is very nice, thanks very much!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Not upgrading to a new version of Windows due to hardware/software incompatibilities...

Reminiscent of the desktop, perhaps? I do find it peculiar that a Dell-provided upgrade would have hardware problems on a Dell-build machine. Software issues, yes, I can see that (developers not upgrading programs for WM5 compatibility). Hardware? Just doesn't make sense to me...
Old 11-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

It's interesting you should say that. My home desktop PC alternates between Win 98SE and Win ME, and I usually do a reformat and reinstall about once a year to clean out all the "guff"

I've seen no need to upgrade to XP (though it would be nice to be to run Google Earth at home, it's not enough to make me consider it yet. I think I'll also need a hardware upgrade first (1Gig Duron with 256MB, XP will _not_ be kind to it!)
Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
FWIW, WinXP works fine on my old Duron 800 w/ 384Mb.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

The extra RAM probably makes more of a difference than the processor speed, I would imagine... Thanks for letting me know my clunky old PC might run XP though, Laurens. If I can pick up a copy *cheaply*, I might give it a try sometime .
Old 11-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Actually, my laptop (my main computer) runs XP, only has 256Mb and a slow 4200rpm drive to boot. I can't run too many "heavy" apps simultaneously, but, even so, I've been working on it for 4 years already.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: from what I heard, the WM5 upgrade for the iPAQ isn't worth it either. Just as on the Axim, WM5 performs very sluggishly. I do wonder what kind of performance we can expect from the Treo 700w.