Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air
Editorial - The Palm Experience on Windows Mobile

Direct from the Palm Inc press release announcing the Windows Mobile Treo Smartphone, we read "The Palm Experience on Windows Mobile... the companies demonstrated the Palm experience now brought to life on Windows Mobile."

Sure, I know very well that Palm Inc bought out the rights to the name Palm. And I believe that Palm Inc will bring added value to Windows Mobile. But did they really buy the right to claim the Palm experience is being brought to Windows Mobile? Clearly, the Palm experience implies the PalmOS experience, not the Palm, Inc additional features for the Treo. It's deceptive. And clearly they are trying to use the name to twist the meaning.

Maybe they earned the right to use that phrase in that manner, and I have nothing against Windows Mobile, but that martketing phrase sure rubs me the wrong way.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
As you say, the "Palm experience" is just a marketing slogan. As such, you should take not take it literally.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
Palm, better get back on track with Palm OS, or you'll lose!

By offering your one and only successful product equipped with Windows Mobile, you make yourself vulnerable to all the competitors in the Windows Mobile market. Until now, you stood by yourself - Tapwave & Co were just small side players along the way. Now you have Dell, HP, and all the other heavyweights of the WM world against you... and trust me, they won't go easy on you or your one-product innovation.

The "Palm Experience" is lost when the last PalmOS device hits the market.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
The banners on the site say "Palm smartphone experience".
Old 09-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Jimmie Geddes
Enthusiast
Jimmie Geddes began at the beginning.

Device: Sprint Treo 650
I am an Associate Writer for PalmAddict, and have my own site. I just posted how much I agree with your editorial, but this isn't really to "rub us". Here's my link:
http://www.gadgetsonthego.net/2005/0...n-windows.html
Old 09-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
Jimmie Geddes
Enthusiast

Great story by the way. You said what I was thinking all day
Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Jimmie Geddes
Enthusiast

Just posted it on PalmAddict as well.
http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...e_palm_ex.html
Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
Jimmie I just read your editorial, and I agree with what you and Bob said. However, when you say:

...why do you think Ed Colligan made it clear today that the "Treo for Windows" is just an extension, Palm is committed to the Palm Treo,

there is one important thing to keep in mind: Palm's commitment to stick to Palm OS is very much dependent on PalmSource's ability, or willingness (with Access as its new owner), to deliver upgrades for PalmOS. Sure, Palm has done its own tweaks here and there (as apparent in a buggy LifeDrive), but for a major upgrade to a modern mobile OS, Palm needs PalmSource - or switch over to Windows Mobile. It won't have the time and resource to develop its own OS from scratch.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
Jimmie Geddes
Enthusiast

I agree with you as well, I am hoping Palm OS for Linux comes to fruition. This is just Palm "buying" time.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Is it, though? What are they buying time for?

Personally, I think that Palm is thinking that the only way to survive is to get into the corporate market. Take most popular handheld, bar none, add WM to it (which for some silly reason Microsoft is the preferred mobile solution,... got me as to why, no logical reason there), and viola! You have a very potent, potential mix that MIGHT "save the day" in terms of corporate sales.

Personally, I think it's going to be a nightmare especially if they start making their hardware (especially phone hybrids) with multiple OSs. That will mean that Sprint, Cingular, and others will have to quality check and test EACH version that is released. I'd lay bets that they won't even come close to offering BOTH OSs if a Treo like that were released. One will lose, right off the bat.

This simply reminds me of the process used to get Fish home and into your home fishtank vs the petstore fish tank. Sudden shocks will kill the fish. By slowly letting them acclimate to small changes, they're better able to survive.

I'm really curious if this is the long term plan for Palm, stated or otherwise.