Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 09-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N500 series unveiled

PocketCenter.de has posted what we think are the first photos of the forthcoming Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N500 series.

Specs:
  • WM 5.0 powered
  • built-in GPS (!)
  • Bluetooth and WiFi
  • VGA at least for the top model

More rumored specs:
  • 256Mb of ROM and 64Mb/128Mb of RAM depending on the model
  • WiFi 802.11g (!)
  • Quadband GSM/GRPS

Sounds like the perfect Pocket PC, doesn't it?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It's certainly impressive, but the name absolutely sucks, so it doesn't sound good.

OK, so I've been looking at going PPC lately, but they really need sexier names. What's a LOOX (much less a "pocket" LOOX)? The overabundance of unnecessary syllables bothers me, but the spec's make up for it.

I haven't seen more of the spec's, and I don't read Looxish (or whatever language that is), so I'm wondering if it still has the CF card or just SD card expansion. I have several SD cards, but I'd like to get just one massive CF card for all my movies and such. Luckily, I wouldn't have to get a separate GPS card (!).

Also, does Quadband GSM/GPRS mean that I can slip my SIM card into this beast and start blabbing away (see "The Parrot")? Or is it for the data connection possibilities?

Maybe I'll just forgo the whole PPC-to-Mac thing and just sync to either my Tablet PC (slow Celeron) or Virtual PC on the Powerbook. I'm starting to really get into these PPC devices. Maybe I should investigate further...
Old 10-01-2005, 04:51 AM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

Engadget is saying they've seen a preproduction model.

Quote:
Thanks to a pre-production model obtained by Mobile-review, we can confirm that the 520 will rock integrated GPS with an external antenna input, Windows Mobile 5.0 running on a 312 MHz processor, 320 x 240 TFT LCD, 64MB RAM/64MB ROM, 802.11a/b and possibly g, Bluetooth, SDIO slot, and a removable battery.
The only thing keeping this from being the killer PDA is the lack of VGA screen. Also somewhat disappointing is the smallish RAM/ROM thing. Also, the device is slated to run up to 16 hours on a charge.

Via Engadget.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

Actually, it seems like the only thing that this model has going for it is the built-in GPS. The Dell Axim x51v has the faster processor, VGA screen, more memory and CF card support. I'd be willing to pay more for what the Axim delivers, plus I have a feeling that it's easier to stick with the bigger company in terms of accessories (GPS SD card, car mount options,...)

One day, my Z2 will be primarily relegated to mobile gaming and whatever PPC device I get will be my main "second brain." How will I ever fit all these devices in my pockets?